9 Reasons to Join a Running Group
I posted not too long ago about going out of my comfort zone. I joined a running group! More specifically, a training group for the Chicago Marathon.
I found a group here through Fleet Feet. I loved Fleet Feet in Chicago and knew they had training groups and just group runs in general so I figured I would look one up here in Nashville. Lucky me, there are two (Brentwood and Green Hills) and they had a training group going for the marathon!
I was nervous to join this for many reasons. I have never been a part of any sort of running club, group, or training program. But I knew I wasn’t going to last doing these long runs all by myself. I was nervous about meeting new people and also about how I would do running with them. What if they are a lot faster than me? What if I can’t keep up? What if they don’t like me? It’s silly now that I look back on it but these were legitimate concerns I had.
I’m happy to report that I absolutely love this group! I think joining it was a great decision on my part and I’m glad I got over my fears.
So here are a few reasons why you should consider joining a running group too:
1. New friends! I have met some great new people and I hope I get to continue to run with them. I have really enjoyed it and look forward to “hanging out” with them every Saturday!
2. To become a better runner. I really think my running has improved since joining this group. I feel stronger and faster than I did before I started.
3. Learn great tips. The great thing about hanging out with other runners is that we talk a lot about running! We get to share all sorts of tips about running clothes, accessories, races, and other great running related things. I’ve learned a lot with this group!
4. You don’t have to come up with race routes. Fleet Feet has a great training group and they make up the routes for you! I just follow along with our pacer, Jen, who makes sure we know where we are going! I don’t have to map the run or anything. I just show up.
5. You learn more about your city. I get to hear great new places and restaurants that people have gone to or learn about the newest coffee shop someone was at. Plus we run all around our city so we get to see new areas. I love traveling on foot!
6. Time management. Our runs start at 6:30 am on Saturdays. So I have to get my butt up and out of bed early but then my run is done! It gives me a lot more time on my weekends when I get it done early. If I’m just running by myself I usually get started late and then feel like I waste more of my day.
7. Motivation. I feel so much more motivated when I’m running with other people. You are held accountable and know that you need to keep going for each other.
8. Inspiration. I am so inspired by so many runners in my group. We are all running for our own reasons and we all have our own story. I feel so great after these runs.
9. Fun! I have a lot of fun when I’m running with this group!
We laugh, share fun stories, and just chat. It’s a great time away from all the other crazy stuff going on in life. We really have a great time.
If there is a running group or training group for a race coming up in your area I encourage you to try it! I’ve run 3 marathons already and I was so intimidated that this is the first one I’ve tried. I can’t believe it’s taken me this long but I’ve really enjoyed it and hope
I’ve made friendships that I will have for a long time.
I want to encourage you to follow along in my health journey through what I learn and experience. I hope there is something you can take away from Fit Busy Female that inspires you to start taking control of your health and feeling better every day.